Favourite Pokémon: Top Six Water Starter Final Evolutions

Back with the second of these three starter lists and these get more difficult with each ranking. This time we are looking at the water type starters and each ones respective final evolution. As much a foil as a fire starter main as they get a lot of these Pokémon in the end begrudgingly gained my respect after hitting my fire types with super effective moves if I had not alternative left to play. With that being said I like these starters a lot more overall than the Grass one so this made for a list that holds more favourites for me. With that said here is the list of my top six for the water starters.

Number Six: Swampert
Kicking off the list is Swampert. The water ground type of generation three always has an interesting design, however, I really prefer the mega evolution. The definition of a heavy hitter Swampert looks like it would punch you to death, I kinda wanna see one fight Tomohiro Ishii they'd punch the hell out of each other. What I'm saying is Mega Swampert look the perfect NEVER Openweight champion so it gets a spot on the list for its normal counterpart.

Number Five: Inteleon
Affectionately named 'James Pond' by many including myself the Secret Agent Pokémon takes number five. At first I didn't like the design, its official image makes it look really thin but that isn't the case. as it looks fine when its an animation especially with it's signature move Snipe Shot. I think the idea of a Pokémon being based on a secret agent it a really fun and interesting concept and I have this continues a trend of using unexpected designs. Using a chameleon as a secret agent makes a lot of sense for the design and I hope this is a sign they'll keep experimenting with odd concepts.

Number Four: Feraligatr
Generation two's big blue alligator is at number four. While it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the previous two do you know clearly what this Pokémon. It's a big bad blue alligator and doesn't need any secondary gimmick to stand out. While I praised Inteleon for the complexities in its design previously I prefer the simple touch that Feraligatr. Sometimes a Pokémon doesn't need a complex design to be good and simplicity of Feraligatr helps it.

Number Three: Blastoise
In at number three is the original water starter. The turtle with the canons coming out of its back. One of the original iconic designs Blastoise was one I saw a lot of as a Charizard user growing up, its a design I remember well. I like how when it mega evolves it gains a large canon on its back and two arm canons, it adds to it being heavy artillery. I'm glad that the design for the canon aspect has always been kept simple and never overblown as this could result in this being a poor design that wasn't well received the fact that the original design kept it to two small back one's allowed growth with Mega Evolution and Gigantamax without beating the gimmick of Blastoise over the head.

Number Two: Empoleon
Its claws are steel weapons and its whole design looks like a war dictator living up to the Napoleon namesake. Looks royal like an emperor Penguin should and reflects that design choice mainly shown with the three pointed horns that look like a crown. I like steel as a starter type I don't think it has been used before or since and it helps Empoleon stand out. I wish we got more Penguin Pokémon as with such an intelligent and smart design it really empathises both types through its body and colour choice and it's bladed steel fins this Pokémon covers all basis it aimed to achieve.

Number One: Greninja
Not really a big surprise that the Pokémon that won the Pokémon of the year event tops this ranking as well. I have to admit at first I wasn't a fan of the tongue wrapping around like a scarf but I have since come around to it. Look ninjas are cool and it wold be tough to get that aesthetic down but somehow Greninja succeeds in it. Everything about the design leaves the impression that the Pokémon has the grace and speed needed to be a ninja and fit its gimmick. While I'm not a fan of the anime and really haven't invested in it for a long time I liked the look of Ash-Greninja while not a mega evolution is still carries that look and feel. It also means that the Pokémon company knew they were on to a winner with Greninja and in a generation that was perhaps not the best Greninja serves as one of the shining lights of that generation.

That brings the list to a conclusion. Doing this made me realise I like the water type starters a lot more then I use to. Maybe it was a case I always chose fire and they would serve to take my ace down a peg or two before I gasped the full mechanics of the game. Overall this was quite easy to choose the top 6. Something I won't be able to say next time I revisit this with the fire starters whereas with only a few of these I have spent time playing with all the fire starters have been used on my first play through on each generation. That one will be a difficult one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?