Favourite Pokémon: Top Six Early Route Mammal Pokémon

In the final of three posts dedicated to the early routes and their Pokémon we reach the mammals. Usually a normal type Pokémon (with some generations throwing in a Dark type Pokémon as well). These early game mammals are normally used for a lot of HMs (at least in the early games) and aren't really the strongest but can prove useful until you get more powerful Pokémon to join your team. The following Pokémon have been considered for this list:

Generation One: Raticate
Generation Two: Furret
Generation Three: Mightyena & Linoone
Generation Four: Bibarel
Generation Five: Watchog, Stoutland, Liepard
Generation Six: Diggersby
Generation Seven: Gumshoos
Generation Eight: Greedent, Thievul, Dubwool

While each generation changes the amount of early mammals it gives a wide variety to choose from with each generation varying between one to three that can fall into this category. With that being said the list is as follows. 

Number Six: Diggersby
Starting with the sole addition from generation six is the digging Pokémon Diggersby. It was a nice addition to give it the ground type to help it stand out from the others in this category. I found its arm ears an odd design but they were memorable. If I go have anything to say and while I am not the biggest fan of this design I will give it one thing, it is memorable. The Pokémon not making this list I find very boring and with Diggersby I remember it well as the design while weird stands out hence why it is on the list.

Number Five: Dubwool
One of the newest additions to this group was the sheep line from Generation eight in Dubwool. Again this is more of a needs must ranking as I find Dubwool ok but not anything really enjoyable. I do however enjoy the idea of its wall being coloured to fit a traditional football fitting being from the region based on the United Kingdom. Apart from that I don't really have much else to say on Dubwool.

Number Four: Raticate
The original mammal Pokémon Raticate is where I start to like these mammals. While I'm sure that the stories of killing Blue's Raticate or youngster Joey's Rattata (which was in the top percentage of Rattata) have added to my love for it I quite like its design. It looks like the animal it wants to be and I enjoy that with its big teeth it can learn all biting moves of the normal & dark type it is a nice design choice reflected in its move pool.

Number Three: Liepard
Generation five introduced five Pokémon into this set but only one really stands out to me in Liepard. I think its design is very well done for a purple leopard and it helps being a dark type Pokémon early on for more type coverage before a team is fully formed. However, its main strength comes from the story of Black & White 2 of your rival looking to get the Purrloin Team Plasma stole from them back. The whole story to finding it evolved and not knowing who he was to building that trust back up again I thought was well done and got me to care for the Pokémon. I was emotionally invested in seeing the resolution to that story.

Number Two: Linoone
In at number two is Linoone. I remember picking one up as a Zigzagoon in Sapphire and the ability it had was pickup. Honestly, the reason I rank this Pokémon so highly is because of that. This was so useful the items it got really helped out early doors. I had wished for Linoone to be a bit more powerful as I found it so useful I wish it was better for me to use in Hoenn which is why I was so happy it got a Galarian form. Not only that but this form evolved it meant that I could finally use Linoone and with an extra type and evolution it was more useful. But on the basis of its normal form while I good ability the design is simple and effective but not my favourite of all these early game mammal Pokémon.

Number One: Mightyena
At number one is the other mammal from generation three in Mightyena. I love the traits of this Pokémon that are wolf like and its dark typing meshes well with the black and grey colour scheme. Its somewhat sinister snarl makes it look like a Pokémon not to mess with. Much like Linoone it is a Pokémon I feel is calling out for more to be done with it a new evolution or duel typing something to give it a boost. Compared to all the other Pokémon on this list (including regional forms for others as well) this design stands out for me above all else as how to make a good early route Pokémon. I just wish it could be given more love in future generations.

That rounds up the ranking of the early route mammal Pokémon. While not my favourite Pokémon or list to do it was nice to look at the designs on offer and see what I thought as these are not Pokémon I normally consider for lists or as favourites. I can say they if the Luxray line was to be considered it would've been number one but after checking I could not find it listed as a Pokémon that fell into this category. Regardless, all the Pokémon listed have their own strengths that many may not even consider when it comes to favourites and I hope this list covers the some ground on those.

While looking into this sort of ranking post I found other to be considered or at least groups of Pokémon classified in the game remit. While I won't be going breakdowns of types as it would cover a lot of similar ground to what I've done previously such as Blaziken being my favourite Fire type, Zoroark being my favourite Dark type just as two example. I will be continuing to look at Pokémon in a same mold as this beginning with the Fossil Pokémon discovered and bought back to life all throughout the series. But until that thank you for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?