Quick Thoughts: NWA Studio Wrestling

October 2019 seems to be by most accounts the biggest month in wrestling since March 2001. Smackdown moving to Fox, Impact moving to AXS, NXT moving to USA, AEW debuting its weekly show on TNT not to mention New Japan’s first solo American tour at the end of September in all that sometimes lost in the shuffle is the NWA and its return to studio wrestling. I wanted to write out a quick piece on this and how I’m looking forward to it.

There’s been talk for years amongst some on how most wrestling shows look the same, in an NFL or NHL area (smaller shows in smaller venues) using the same sort of cameras and storytelling ideas year on year, there was a general consensus that Impact and ROH were at points trying to be WWE but smaller (forgetting what made each respective show popular to begin with). That is what makes this NWA Studio Wrestling an interesting concept it’s already unique. No other major American show films in this way small compact in a studio it creates a curiosity as to how it will look.

I am looking at the roster itself and interested to see who fills it out. At the moment I believe only Eli Drake and Ricky Starks have been announced as full time exclusive NWA signed competitors although I have to imagine Nick Aldis is also signed in a similar manner (maybe James Storm as well). I think Aldis is a good place to start and works well in the NWA’s image of what it wants to present itself as. I have said on multiple occasions that Aldis would need a good antagonist to help the show. I don’t think they could’ve done better than Eli Drake. A man I thought AEW bound signed exclusively with the NWA in a great move by them. Once this match with Tim Storm is out the way and Aldis should retain Eli Drake is the ideal heel for him to feud with to create intrigue in their product going forward, no offence to Tim Storm but he shouldn’t be winning the NWA title.

However, the strength of those two needs to be reinforced with more exclusive signings of gold regard. I think James Storm is a good get as National Heavyweight Champion and I’m interested to see who the face is to go against him, smart money is on Eddie Kingston someone who I would sign exclusively if I was the NWA and good talker with a good sized fanbase could bring some new eyes to the product. On top of that Colt Cabana is part of these shows, while I don’t think he is signed as he still works in ROH to my (limited knowledge) him and Storm facing off again makes sense for their rivalry.

I do feel with both NWA Women’s World Champion Allysin Kay and NWA World Tag Team Champions Thomas Latimer and Royce Issacs their respective divisions will need strengthening. While the women’s division has announced Marti Belle, Thunder Rosa and Ashley Vox and while a good start I feel like highlighting at least some of these on a 10 pounds of gold episode would help them greatly.

The tag division I’m interested in seeing. The only constant in that has been The War Kings (Jax Dane and Crimson) through all Billy Corgan promotes NWA shows so I imagine they’ll be booked and I know the Rock and Roll Express are announced as well but I don’t see that as more than a one time deal. The deal with ROH coming to an end has hurt the tag division the most. Between using The Boys and The Dawgs in the wildcard battle royal and the winners of the Crockett Cup and former tag champions Villain Enterprises the NWA will have to attempt to find some real diamonds in the rough to  help boost this division.

Regardless of who they sign this looks to be an interesting time for the NWA. The past few years is the hottest this brand has been for a long time most likely since the partnership with TNA/Impact ended. While I don’t recall anything about a TV deal being announced I remain hopeful this won’t be another GFW situation and these shows not making air until years down the line. Done right this can create an opening for wrestling shows like it and that is something I would like to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?