Favourite Pokémon Per Generation: Generation Five - Black, White, Black 2 and White 2

Generation five is next on this ongoing series, starting with Black and White version and followed by a unique entry for the Pokémon series in a direct sequel in Black 2 & White 2, while these entries introduce my favourite rival in Natural Harmonia Gropius otherwise known as N it also introduced a total of 156 new Pokémon with Black & White focusing on new Pokémon alone with no returning Pokémon until their sequels. With so many new options to choose form I found this generation very hit and miss with the main six I have chosen being pretty easy and really good hits with little on the honourable mentions really standing a chance of being on the list, so with that in mind let’s start by looking at those honourable mentions.

Honourable Mentions: Serperior, Emboar, Samurott, Zebstrika, Seismitoad, Scolipede, Darmanitan, Carracosta, Archeops, Galvantula, Haxorus, Beartic, Golurk, Bisharp, Braviary, Zekrom, Genesect

Number Six: Elektross
Kicking off the list for generation five is Elektross the elefish Pokémon. While I like its design of being a massive eel my appreciation of this Pokémon comes in a more technical sense. Between its typing of electric combined with the ability levitate this Pokémon has no weaknesses damaged normally by most types and resistant and immune to the rest. It means no move will be super effective on it which is a unique concept, while I came late in the game and was very rare, I sought it out due to how valuable this was the have.

Number Five: Krookodile
Next up is Krookodile who is known as the intimidation Pokémon. I really like how its membrane look to resemble sunglasses giving it a cool look. This Pokémon takes an animal in this case a crocodile and ramps up how intimidating it can be with this design and I like it, the unique typing of this evolutionary line being ground and dark really helps set this Pokémon apart from the rest in that regard as well

Number Four: Volcarona
Fourth I have Volcarona, never before has a bug Pokémon looked so elegant and so intimidating at the same time. Like Krookodile this evolutionary line has unique typing which is again handy. I like that it’s a massive moth not because I like moths far from it, but I do like mothra. I wish more Pokémon would share traits and designs with famous kaiju and while there isn’t a lot of similarities design wise on the two there’s enough for me is associate them.

Number Three: Excadrill
Excadrill takes third place in this generation. I really like how the Pokémon’s nature is reflected in its design. Being a ground type is reflected in its claws which it would use to dig, it’s a simple design choice that makes it so memorable and effective in my eyes. The fact that the Pokémon that digs that it can turn its whole body into a drill is such a simple and nice touch to help this Pokémon really reflect its type with its blades being metal so the steel duel typing really helps set it above other ground types.

Number Two: Hydreigon
Coming in as my second favourite Pokémon of this generation is Hydreigon. With resemblance to King Ghidorah at first before confirmation of it being based on Yamata no Orochi this Pokémon has such a great design that it is only fitting it is the pseudo legendary of its generation. I’m glad it wasn’t designed to be like a tank in the end as this would probably have knocked it down the list for me. With it also including elements of one of my favourite mythological creatures in the hydra as well it’s clear why Hydreigon ranks as high as it does.

Number One: Zoroark
The one Pokémon standing tall as my favourite of the 156 introduced in generation 5 is Zoroark. Similar to Lucario it got its own movie and for good reason. The sleek design with all colours used blending in well together makes this Pokémon look cool and it isn’t jarring to look at. I really like its ability of illusion to appear as a different member of your party until it is hit, it could fool your opponent into using moves that weren’t effective and giving you the upper hand such a cool ability that meshed well with the idea of the Pokémon being based off of Kitsune a shape shifting magical fox of Japanese folklore it gives this Pokémon a real unique mythical presence to it putting it to the top of this list. 

When I first started doing these generation 5 was the biggest task. With it not only introducing the largest number of new Pokémon to date it also had the previous four generations to live up to, as with all generations some Pokémon will be great and some will be bad or forgettable, I think generation 5 gets a bad rep because of it having a larger amount of forgettable Pokémon which is to be expected with a larger pool as not all can be hit but I think the really good ones are very memorable and can rank up there with some of the best. With that in mind here is are my favourite Pokémon per type for this generation.




Next up is the switch to Nintendo 3DS with generation 6 and Pokémon X & Y, this generation introduced new concepts such as mega evolutions which give me more to cover, the see if any mega evolutions crack my top six check in on the next addition of this series. Until then thanks for reading

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?