Quick Thoughts: AEW WrestleDream 2023

It's hard to explain to those outside of wrestling bubble or even those who only watch WWE how much Antonio Inoki means to wrestling. The founder of New Japan Pro Wrestling and inspiration and idol for so many wrestler who followed him a true great. It is fitting now that AEW on the anniversary of his passing AEW puts on a tribute show to honour Inoki featuring talent from New Japan as well. I imagine this is a double edge sword for AEW testing having more PPVs and the buy rate with how an expected move to the on demand service Max will work. Either way with the card in place I felt this was a good card on paper but was up to how it would deliver on paper. 

The opening tribute to Inoki really does justice to the character and legacy of Antonio Inoki and what it means to everyone to pay tribute to Inoki and what he means. A nice opening tribute from Tony Khan before and matches with Inoki's grandsons in the ring as well. 

Zero Hour

Shane Taylor Promotions (Shane Taylor and Lee Moriarty), Diamante, and Mercedes Martinez vs. Satoshi Kojima, Keith Lee, Athena, and Billie Starkz
What an odd addition to the card but I won't complain the last time Kojima was in AEW he said he would kill CM Punk and then elbow dropped him in the dick so an all time performance for one of the most underappreciated legends from Japan. Athena is someone I don't think gets enough credit, the best women's wrestler in North America and her story with Billie Starkz has been fun. A fine match which the crowd were into and its good to see Keith Lee looking healthy and hopefully he is around for a sustained run now. Just a shane Lee Moriarty took the pinfall as he is by far the best member of his team. 

Josh Barnett vs. Claudio Castagnoli
A surprising addition to the card but with the man referred to as his prized pupil of Inoki it makes sense for him to be on the card. I dno't think a lot gets said about how good of a run Claudio had a ROH champion and in AEW in general, a great wrestler who seems to have added a new edge to his game. Great to see Mox with Claudio and looking healthy after his concussion. This was boring but I've never been a Josh Barnett guy he just bores me and this was slow and never picked up but right guy won. 

Luchasaurus vs. Nick Wayne
Poor Nick Wayne he's had a rough few months. Swerve & AR Fox breaking into his home and beating him to a bloody pulp, Darby then telling him to just forgive Fox and also Christian just harrassing his family I think he needs a break. I like Nick Wayne he has all the potential in the world but this was a match that was to set up the main event. I have loved the last two Luchasaurus PPV matches mainly because he throws the other guy around and it's fun to watch. 

AEW World Trios Championship Match:The Acclaimed (Anthony Bowens and Max Caster) and Billy Gunn (c) vs. TMDK (Shane Haste, Mikey Nicholls, and Bad Dude Tito)
Ok first of all, why are The Acclaimed saying they are on a world tour when all the stops are in America? Come on now. I like TMDK they need more credit for the work they've done this year especially Shane & Mikey who I would've given the IWGP Tag Titles at some point but as expected The Acclaimed would win. I like The Acclaimed and do wonder what is next for them. 

Main Show

ROH World Tag Team Championship Match: MJF (c) vs. The Righteous (Vincent and Dutch)
I have to be honest in saying The Righteous aren't for me. Not a big fan of lore merchants but I will give Dutch his credit in that he does hit a real good black hole slam. I think this match has more thoughts around it from Adam Cole being injured or maybe not as well as Roderick Strong and his campaign for Neck Health awareness. Glad MJF won I do wonder what happens with this story going forward hopefully less Righteous. 

ROH World Championship and NJPW Strong Openweight Championship Match: Eddie Kingston (c) vs. Katsuyori Shibata
It's great to see Eddie get the wins he deserves, a champion in Japan and a world champion for ROH. One of the most unique wrestlers currently going and deserves all the titles. While I love Shibata put I would be happy to see the Pure Championship go away as long as Shibata stays around. I liked the match a very physical match and the right person won interested what happens with Eddie with what happened with the pre show setting up some form of announcement. 

AEW TBS Championship Match: Kris Statlander (c) vs. Julia Hart (with Brody King)
Julia Hart keepy getting better and has years to continue to grow. Character and presentation wise she is superb but still needs that standout match which isn't a shock she hasn't yet so early in her career. This was exactly what Julia needed a great match with an ending that ruled. I would have a rematch or something they should do as that was above what I thought would happen. 

The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) vs. The Gunns (Austin Gunn and Colten Gunn) vs. The Lucha Brothers (Rey Fenix and Penta El Zero Miedo) (with Alex Abrahantes) vs. Orange Cassidy and Hook
An interesting match to set up the number one contender for the AEW Tag Team Championships. I did think Orange was gonna have some time off when he lost the International Championship but I guess not. Interesting match but not overly keen on the winners as it made me feel that Aussie Open weren't winning and I wasn't feeling another Young Bucks vs. FTR match so soon. I do wonder what they do with calling it a match at any time though. 

"Hangman" Adam Page vs. Swerve Strickland (with Prince Nana)
Two of my favourites in AEW and a feud I hope moves both up to the top of the card full time, with Punk gone it feels that Hangman will finally be at the top of the mountain with no issue. Swerve I feel might be one of the guys to take the belt from MJF seeing as Better Than You Babay turned him face. This had the potential to be the match of the night for me with how I liked both but felt a win for Swerve would serve the story well. A nice change for Hangman to be the heel in the match due to where they were. I did leap out of my seat for the brainbuster and transition man Swerve was so good. What a match right winner, right match and elevating Swerve let's keep the feud going these two have insane chemistry.  

Ricky Starks vs. Wheeler Yuta
While I'm not as high on Ricky Starks as other are I can say his feud with Danielson and by proxy the Blackpool Combat Club has been his best work. Wheeler Yuta keeps getting better and will grow more and more. Feel sorry for these two having to follow that but that's how it goes. Get Wheeler Yuta a finisher and as for Ricky good he needed a win and on PPV is good for him.

Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr
A match years in the making, in terms of pure wrestling the two best in the world and something that has needed to happen for a good while. A match of attrition that kept going and got better and better as it got on which is what I felt would happen during the match. I really liked it by the end these are two of the best of what they do.

Chris Jericho and The Golden Elite (Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi) vs. The Don Callis Family (Konosuke Takeshita, Sammy Guevara, and Will Ospreay) (with Don Callis)
Always a treat to see Kota Ibushi in AEW one of my favourites. I do feel like Sammy Guevara needs a show off performance here to hang with the two members in his team which honestly they are two of the best in the world. Speaking on Ibushi how about he gets that surgery because he just isn't 100% but if he's happy then that's ok. This was a very PWG 6 man tag match and I love it

AEW World Tag Team Championship Match: FTR (Cash Wheeler and Dax Harwood) (c) vs. Aussie Open (Kyle Fletcher and Mark Davis)
Missing the chance the miss their first match live I have been waiting for the rematch. I love Aussie Open and when they are healthy they are for my money on of if not the best tag team in the world. Once again this was good these two teams have insane chemistry but I still would've had Aussie Open won but a good match nonetheless. 

AEW TNT Championship Match: Christian Cage (c) vs. Darby Allin
Christian Cage is the best in the world, I'm not having a debate or hearing anything different he is the best, the most enteraining and deserves all his flowers. Darby is great but man who would've thought that brining up dead family members would give Christian his best run ever. Great to see the TNT title main event a PPV the belt feels like it matters again and I will argue this has been the best feud around the belt. What a superb match and Christian keeping the title I agree with he's on the run of his career and Nick is justified turning on Darby with how he treated the full AR Fox situation. Adam Copeland making his debut was great got the good theme and the Rated R Superstar nickname as well well I am already invested in that feud hopefully he isn't doing his 18 hour promos and mountain of omnipotence and if Adam Copeland is firing on all cylinders then great move. 

A very enjoyable show top to bottom a fun time and a good tribute. I really liked this and found the whole show fun will rewatch the Swerve vs. Hangman and Bryan vs. Sabre match the next day again two incredible matches. Next up is Full Gear in a month and the whole MJF vs. Jay White feud to build up for this one. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?