Quick Thoughts: AEW Full Gear 2023

As what has been the final PPV for the AEW calander year up until this year Full Gear seems to be headlined by the idea of who is the person behind the devil mask or at least all surrounding it and the MJF and Jay White title match. Writing this the Friday beforehand my bet is either Adam Cole or Will Ospreay but a reveal like this at the top of the card needs to top act to fill the role of the person most likely to win the belt from MJF in my opinion. However, before we even get to that we have what is on paper a good night of action. 

Zero Hour

ROH World Championship: Eddie Kingston (c) vs. Jay Lethal (with Jeff Jarrett, Karen Jarrett, Satnam Singh, and Sonjay Dutt)
Eddie Kingston being a world champion is great. A unique presence on the AEW roster and I wish he did more, give him all of the belts he deserves them. Jay Lethal is a fine wrestler but I have no interest in seeing him so was expecting a by the numbers title defence with God know about 500 interference spots in it. Interesting choice for this to open the show would've thought the tag title match would've to give MFJ to most rest possible. It was a fine match nothing really to it but I am interested in who Eddie will face at Final Battle. 

Claudio Castagnoli vs. Buddy Matthews
A match sort of added at the last minute but I'm not complaining. I like both men just seemed to be added randomly to the show based off an angle 24 hours ago, maybe it will set up a future tag title match depending on results on the main show who knows. The after of the match was more interesting seemingly setting up the feud continuing or something. I dunno a fine match but not overly needed in my opinion on the card. 

ROH World Tag Team Championship: MJF (c) and Samoa Joe vs. The Gunns (Austin Gunn and Colten Gunn)
As a write this the tag partner for MJF is yet to be revealed but seems most likely to be Samoa Joe. I was going into this hoping The Gunns win, all of Bullet Club Gold have been on of my favourite acts this year so they should get some reward and with Jay White likely losing the main event this was the best place for them to win a title. I did spend the match waiting for Samoa Joe to turn on MJF after he got what he wanted in a future world title match. I was surprised they retained did think you would get new champs. Adam Cole back right there at the end of the match makes me feel he would be the devil by the end of the night even more. We also have a big hook of MJF being taken out hurt will be interesting in how this build over the show. 

Main Show

Sting, Darby Allin, and Adam Copeland (with Ric Flair) vs. Christian Cage, Luchasaurus, and Nick Wayne
Fuck Ric Flair first of all a disgrace of a hire, not needed, not wanted, do better. From the bad to the good and Christian Cage the best in the world the gimmick of being the most evil man in the world is great and for my money the best TNT Champion, unsure why we just cannot call this stable The Christian Coalition it's exactly the same as the TNA stable but this time the future of the business role that AJ had is Nick Wayne (which is good as AJ Styles was a multiple time world champion at the time of the stable). The entrance for Christian Cage is incredible as is the new titantron, make him the devil and give him the world title tonight the best in the world. Between Christian's amazing entrance, Darby getting fucked over the top rope by Luchasaurus and Sting running about like a madman I loved this match super fun and I imagine we get Christian vs. Adam at World's End. 

AEW International Championship: Orange Cassidy (c) vs. Jon Moxley
One of AEW's longer standing feuds and likely reaching its conclusion here (I imagine) as two of AEW bigger stars collide again following their first and excellent match at All Out. The story of Mox being this unbreakable monster in Orange's way is really compelling to me seeing if he can overcome and keep the title that means so much to him. Another fun match between the two although I liked their first match more and both matches had the right winner. Orange beats the demon that haunted him and I wonder what is next for both me. I would have Takeshita or Swerve as the next challenger for Orange but another good match and keeps cementing Orange as a strong competitor at the top of AEW's card. 

AEW Women's World Championship: Hikaru Shida (c) vs. "Timeless" Toni Storm (with Luther)
Toni Story has reinvented herself into one of the best characyers in wrestling. Her whole story is just starting especially with the introduction of Mariah May so to me it's a real 50/50 if she should win. Your top acts normally should be champions but Toni is so over and effective without the belt maybe it's best to have Shida retain and have Toni's story continue without the belt. Toni won which I don't mind she's the most over women in the company and luckily the slight malfunction with the object she used to win but Toni is such a pro her reaction to it all work. A great gmimmick and act interested in where they go with this story now. 

AEW World Tag Team Championship: Ricky Starks and Big Bill (c) vs. La Facción Ingobernable (Rush and Dralístico) (with José the Assistant) vs. FTR (Cash Wheeler and Dax Harwood) vs. Kings of The Black Throne (Malakai Black and Brody King)
A match of several combustable elements if anything was going to be non stop chaos for me it would be this match. While having three others teams get a title match over the number one contenders is dumb but Rush is on the card so I'm fine and can hope we get Rush & Omega in the continental classic. Changing this to a ladder match was a good idea need a stipulation match and I imagine half these people refuse to be pinned so a good compromise. As was expected this match was chaos hopefully someone can fix up Brody King's face he was fucked and then he damn near killed Dralistico. A fun match I think ladder matches might be my favourite gimmick match always have a fun time with them.

AEW TBS Championship: Kris Statlander (c) vs. Julia Hart vs. Skye Blue
One consistant part of the AEW programming for the last while has been the change in Skyle Blue since being misted by Julia Hart. All three women have done really well on this story and a PPV match is the least they deserve. Going into this match I felt it was right time for Julia Hart to win the belt, she improves match on match and her entire presentation deserves a title run. Skye very much in the match to take the pin but glad Julia won a better match then I thought for all three in the match, they've done good work around the TBS title and hopefully that continues. 

Texas Death Match: "Hangman" Adam Page vs. Swerve Strickland (with Prince Nana)
The most personal of feuds on the card. Home invasions, surprise indy attacks and a great match at WrestleDream I was really looking forward to this. Swerve is getting better and better and if we can't get him in the world title division at the moment then have him be the next International Champion, he deserves it. Hangman seems to be finding form again and hopefully we can keep him in a major position as one of AEW's top singles babyfaces. I mean there were so many staples in the match and why is Hangman drinking blood. Is that cowboy shit? I must've missed that one. Goodness me this match was violent and bloody, a personal feud filled of hate and it came across in the match deary me the most violent match in AEW history. Congrats to Swerve making the Muta Scale. I don't have the words, what a match, what a war just watch it, experience it good god. 

The Golden Jets (Kenny Omega and Chris Jericho) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson)
The Elite being split up is good, Bucks work better as heels and Omega is good as a face (or teaming with Ibushi, in face give the tag titles to Omega & Ibushi thanks). Young Bucks don't seem to have a place at it seems like they and FTR are beefing again so their number one contenders place kinda pointless at the moment. I have to be honest, a fine match but I just couldn't concentrate after the last match I was tired needed a rest before the big main event match/angle. A fine match I am happy if this moves Young Bucks and Kenny Omega away from each other, Bucks are better as a heel team and Omega on his own (or with Ibushi) so let's keep them apart at least for a bit do something new. Omega & Jericho vs. Starks & Big Bill is an interesting one I could see new tag champions but we will see it doesn't feel like a PPV match but I guess it could be built to it. 

AEW World Championship: MJF (c) vs. Jay White
The main event of the show before a likely big reveal as MJF fighting from beneath hacving already had a title match earlier in the night against Jay White. Both tremendous wrestlers I was very interesting on how they worked together in a big time match. It's quite funny these are two guys I always see people say are terrible but I would encourage them to use their eyes and not just tweet for attention. So as you can tell my first thoughts were kinda thrown out of the window at the start of this match with a lot of shenanigans before the bell rung. A fun match that would've been better if it didn't have to work around an injury angle as it did slow the pace down at points, still a well worked match though. A fun work from under from MJF even with the cheating a real babyface performance. I am surprised we got nothing related to The Devil that seems an interesting decision, I wonder if that gets more on Dynamite. 

All in all a really fun show. The Texas Death Match is something that I will have to watch again at some point and I do regard it as one of the best matches in AEW history. I do wonder now how World's End will look with the Continental Classic but I guess we will see in about a months time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?