Favourite Pokémon Per Generation: Generation Nine - Scarlet & Violet

Another year brings another Pokémon game which seems to be the case now (that or DLC expansion) with multiple teams working on multiple games at once it seems the content, content, content approach is being taken which has hurt the performance of the game. I played Scarlet with my switch docked and the only issues I had were some lag and frame rate drops. I understand these are issues but to me it didn't hurt my enjoyment of the game, in fact I would say the free roam aspect was really fund and a great addition, I think it is something to keep but also improve. Whatever Generation Ten holds (which I can see as the first modern day Japan region since Generation 4 and Sinnoh as a big 10 generations of Pokémon celebration) I do think that we need level scaling for this format otherwise the game isn't maximising how free roaming it is you still really have a path to follow you can get your starter to level 10 and then go and beat gym 8 you are likely bound by the levels of your opponent if not for some luck in the fights. But we aren't here for that I may cover that later I am here to cover my favourite 6 Pokémon of this generation. A generation with new evolutions for old Pokémon, a few regional variants and a new gimmick in Paradox Pokémon this generation has a wide variety of new Pokémon but before going over my favourite six we have the honourable mentions of this generation: 

Honourable Mentions: Meowscarada, Skeledirge, Spidops, Garganacl, Armarouge, Bellibolt, Mabosstiff, Grafaiai, Toedscruel, Wugtrio, Cetitan, Annihilape, Clodsire, Kingambit, Great Tusk, Slither Wing, Roaring Moon, Koraidon

Number Six: Iron Valiant
Starting off with a Paradox Pokémon from Violet I find it funny how I prefer the full Paradox Pokémon line from Scarlet but my favourite of all the Paradox Pokémon comes from Violet. I think Violet with the Paradox from the future really lack creativity or imagination compared to how those in Scarlet are. Designs to me are limited to just being robots as they are from the future I wish they had more. With that being said I think Iron Valiant manages to do just a bit more with it being a combination of Gallade & Gardevoir. Merging these two designs from this Pokémon's line is a really fun idea here I wish was done more. Why not do this with Slowbro & Slowking or the three Hitmon Pokémon for example I think opportunities were missed. This doesn't take away from the design of Iron Valiant with it's wrist blades turning into a double edged blade of sorts it looks to combine the elegance of Gardevoir and the deadliness of Gallade, I just wished more future Paradox Pokémon followed this idea.

An extra special mention to Kingambit here who almost took the number six spot but they driving around and sitting on its hair is just odd, not enough for me to dislike the deisgn just and odd choice, 

Number Five: Quaquaval
When I first saw all the starters final evolutions Quaquaval was my least favourite (I went with Skeledirge as I always pick the Fire type starter as is tradition). I don't know why but something with the design wasn't sticking, it was only when I began to see people talk about the comparisons to Blaziken (and also this image shorturl.at/wSTWY). Quaquaval is a carnival dancer but it also feels the more I see the idol movements makes me feel like a basis was taken from Capoeira fighters. A Water type Blaziken with Eddie Gordo movements, man I am just sad I didn't appreciate Quaquaval sooner.

Number Four: Ceruledge
Another Violet exclusive Pokémon despite playing Scarlet maybe we can trade Flutter Mane & Armarouge for Iron Valiant & Ceruledge in the next patch. Regardless I much like a lot of others see some Mega Man inspiration of this Pokémon. I love the haunted armour looks here with the colour scheme I think it works more than Armarouge. Of course my favourite part is the twin blades this Pokémon looks like a killer and if I do ever play Violet than Ceruledge will be one of those locked for the team. 

Number Three: Baxcalibur
As far as Pseudo-Legendary Pokémon go Baxcalibur might be my favourite since Tyranitar. I am a big Godzilla fan so any Kaiju inspired designs are going to get me. With Baxcalibur it is based on the classic Godzilla design combined with its signature move Glaive Rush which is a tribute to how classic Godzilla would use its atomic breath to fly, I love attention to details like that in a design which help elevate it. As a Godzilla fan no way I could pass up using Baxcalibur. Now if we can get that King Kong inspired Pseudo-Legendary next generation please.

Number Two: Tinkaton
Pokédex enteries are normally something I look over, but for Tinkaton it is something which only adds to how fun the Pokémon is. Armed with its hammer throwing rocks at Corviknight. That is a hater and as a hater I can respect that. I really like the evolution of the hammer through the line from a baby rattle to weapon of distruction it is fun to see the weapon a Pokémon uses evolve with it

Number One: Lokix
When the leaks for this generation came out one took my eye the most in a Kamen Rider inspired Bug Pokémon. As you can see by the ranking I was not disappointed the design emobdies both its Kamen Rider inspiration while not forgotting it's a Pokémon. It's hard to really describe the main sticking points for Lokix as to why I like it but whenever I think about what designs I like the most it is I honestly feel like the whole design is so solid and not a case of one part standing out. I like how the Bug Pokémon have another top draw Pokémon as it often feels like a forgotten type for strong or good designs in my opinion. 

All in all (and before the DLC) I think this generation has a lot of fun designs but at some stages I just think about the missed potential of the future Paradox Pokémon but still some good concepts and I just wonder if the DLC will build on this but that remains to be seen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?