Where does God of War go from here?

Spoilers for God of War 2018 & God of War Ragnarok to follow

Having just finished God of War Ragnarok I have been wondering what can the series go. After God of War 2018 I thought we would be getting a Norse trilogy which I do not think is the case anymore. I wanted to look at how God of War Ragnarok sets up any potential future for the series. You could say Ragnarok is the end of the series it wraps up this story well but with sales figures for the game booming you can bet we will get another game. It broke records, it won awards (well deserved for Christopher Judge and his performance as Kratos) it is almost guaranteed we will get another game. 

So where is the world of God of War now. Odin is dead, Thor is dead, Asgard has fallen and Loki is off on his own adventure to find his people, the lost giants. A lot has changed in the realms and with that they seem peaceful. Kratos becomes a God worshiped by the realms but what now? I don't think it is a controversial take to say Norse mythology is comeplted as far as the story of Kratos is concerned. So what do you do next? Kratos doesn't need to travel to a different realm to escape his past so I think the most logical that a new pantheon comes to him. I think the next game should be God of War: War of the Realms. Kratos is next step is one that I am not sure on, does he become the new All Father? Does he simply retire? Kratos in the past two games has been someone who has always struck me as someone with a plan on the defence if needed but for a threat from a different realm attacks suddenly I wonder how the character would react. 

However, at a base concept I think the many thing to consider is the journey of the characters. I think a new God of War game would work around the theme of reunion, Kratos & Atreus reuiniting after many years apart. We can also see Sindri get closure, I think an interesting parallel can be created with Sindri and Kratos if Sindri is found living in the realm of these new Gods, has a new family after losing it all and killing the main God of his homeland ending up travelling to a completely new place but still haunted by his actions. It would be interesting and they seem to indicate his eventual return with Kratos and Freya making sure his house doesn't fall in direspute. It feels like the most open plot thread apart from the reunion of Kratos & Atreus which really feels like a big scene to build to but will then end up with the usual dynamic we have had the past two games. 

The beauty of how the series is currently is they have a lot of room to go, honestly I don't think we will hear anything until 2024 at the earliest about a new game. Looking at Sony exclusives with Spider-Man 2 next year I think we will hear about any Ghost of Tsushima 2 before that so we have a lot of time and the studio has a lot of time to think. The series has a lot of ways to go in its next story and I will say right now I will be playing it day one whenever the second God of War 3 comes out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?