Quick Thoughts: AEW Redemption 2026
Is this PPV really needed? A strange opening sentence but legit help me out here. I dunno why we are doing this are we not better suited to running through to All In? I get we need to get all the ducks in a row but are some of those big enough for PPV hooks? Look I'm watching I pay MyAEW for that privilege and I'm sure this PPV is being created to justify the price points but still. As ever yeah sure will be a good show they always are but let's break it down. Last one of these actual quick thoughts before I am at Wembley all Bank Holiday August weekend. I wanna dedicate this one to my cat Jess who passed away the Monday before the show. Redemption is the first AEW I'll watch without her sleeping in the kitchen and disturbing here when I go to the fridge. She's give me a confuse look and then go back to sleep it wasn't breakfast time just yet. I'm gonna miss you so much and just hope you know how much you were loved and how much you will be missed.
Zero Hour
Good to see the Rougeau family get some plaudits and praise for their achievements as well. From Montreal to Memphis, Parlez-vous français. Tell all the girls, the Rougeaus on their way. I missed most of this segment because my TV fucking sucks and can't follow basic instructions.
AEW World Trios Championship Match: The Conglomeration (Kyle O'Reilly, Orange Cassidy, and Roderick Strong) (c) vs. The Lethal Twist (Jay Lethal, Blake Christian, and Lee Johnson)
I think this got set up on Collision? I didn't watch I had G1 to catch up on now that has been a sweet tournament so far. I don't think the title will change but would be sweet give something fresh for the titles this Conglomeration reign has just been a thing that's happening. I would expect The Demand to end up winning the belts at some point so this likely will be a title retention. This was alright I dunno didn't hook me in the build or the match. 2.5/5
Main Show
Ladder Match: Jack Perry vs. The Beast Mortos vs. Komander vs. "Speedball" Mike Bailey vs. Nick Wayne vs. El Clon
I
do not care. I have had my fill of ladder matters we've had so many in
the last few years oh my God just a 1 year ban on Ladder matches we'll
probably get another at All In oh man just whatever. Some good spots, some lots of set up fun opener. 3.25/5
Death Riders (Jon Moxley and Will Ospreay) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson)
I'm
sure it'll be good and it makes sense for the story but man I dunno I
think I'll be more into it at bell time. It is a good line throughout
AEW the hatred between Mox and The Elite from day 1 to now. Will is with
The Death Riders, The Bucks are friends with his likely All In opponent
in Kenny Omega so it makes sense but I dunno. Feels like a match added
to have the standard AEW PPV lengths. Again match was fine I did enjoy the story of Mox yelling at Ospreay to focus on targeting Matt while Nick was out injured. I liked some of it I didn't like other stuff. 3.75/5
AEW International Championship Match: Kyle Fletcher (c) vs. Bandido
I'd
respect it if we could go on PPV where Bandido doesn't lose. Please
that'd be nice this guy is one of the best wrestler and we continue to
have him lose. It also annoys me that everyone beats him and then don't
try and take his belt what is the point? I love Bandido I got to see him
and Leon Cage had an incredible match live in London at the top of the
month but man he's just not winning here. Kyle is heading onto All In
for a triple threat with Okada and Takeshita. I think the second half of
2026 will start to see a crumbling of The Don Callis Family and Wembley
will be the start so we will get a good match but let's not kid
ourselves that Bandido is winning. This was fun but you know expected winner. 4/5
Double Chain Tag Team Match: Bang Bang Gang (Jay White and Juice Robinson) vs. The Dogs (David Finlay and Clark Connors)
Hey
look Jay White is back. I missed that guy but man I kind wish we had
something else for him over Bullet Club lore. I still am not moved by
David Finlay but it is what it is. If this one wants to hook me in it
needs to be bloody and violent so if you would please lads. Heatless match honestly, between Jay White losing his gear, this not really being a dog collar match man fuck this, The Dogs suck the best member is having a great G1 and David Finlay should go to NXT now. Most interesting bit was when my WiFi crashed don't do this again. 1.5/5
AEW TBS Championship Match: Hikaru Shida (c) vs. Maya World
Good
that Maya World gets a follow up to last months PPV showing. Despite
Dave Meltzer never rating it I felt that Maya World vs. Mercedes Mone
was great. I know some will remark on Maya World being out of place in
spots and somewhat sloppy but it's here first major PPV match. I want to
use a quote by Arsène Wenger on developing talent as the same idea
works here.
‘You pay for the education of young players with points. If I play a 20-year old centre back, I know he’ll cost me points during the season & I have to stand up for that. A less talented 28 year old would cost me less points. However, by 23/24 you have a player’
Maya World goes into this match with a super solid wrestler in Hikaru Shida in another big singles PPV title match. This one maybe has a little less pressure to it so I hope she can build that confidence find that next level. I can see a Shida win I dunno can see Athena costing Maya World here but we will see. I did write this earlier in the week but noticed that Hikaru Shida hadn't had her render updated with the belt on the AEW Website a sure sign it was over. Good for Maya a smart move after her big match last month. 3.5/5
AEW World Tag Team Championship Match: Cage and Cope (Adam
Copeland and Christian Cage) (c) vs. Death Riders (Claudio Castagnoli
and PAC)
Why only questions on this match is just how many
teams will Cage and Cope face at All In for the belts? The Young Bucks,
FTR, New Day and Motor City Machine Guns all seem like ideas for
potential multi team TLC match so Adam Copeland can avoid being pinned
again while still claiming to want to put people over. Again running
theme in this PPV is what is the point. Cope and Cage get a title
defence in their home country. Onwards to Wembley. I dunno I find these matches where the winner is so obvious hard to engage with. 3/5
"The Painmaker" Chris Jericho vs. Tommaso Ciampa
Right.
Man poor Ciampa given 2026 Jericho (is it all caps like KENTA or not I
dunno) to work with. I'm not feeling this Jericho return stuff really
feels like he got a low ball from WWE and said fuck that and came back
to AEW. I dunno I've always found The Painmaker stupid so will wait for
them to do a segment with this and Blackheart Lio Rush for some reason. They did well to wake the crowd up with some local sports team stuff. I did enjoy most of this they did lots of kicking out but did enjoy the finish I would also tap out to the drill. 4/5
AEW National Championship Match: Mark Davis (c) vs. Andrade El Ídolo
Ok
how you know? Andrade on his eventual march to probably dropping that
belt to MJF at All In but before you lose a belt you have to win it.
Andrade has been on fire this year feels like a man motivated and
wanting to be there. Speaking of people having a great 2026 we must also
give flowers to Mark Davis. I worried for Mark coming back from big
injuries and Aussie Open done with Fletcher firing up the card but he
has found himself with a good role and has risen to it to the point of
getting a justified singles title run.While it may be coming to an end
here if my prediction is right the fact Mark Davis has a singles title
match on PPV is great going for him. Really enjoyed that one big win for Andrade well deserved for the work he's done in 2026, looking forward to him vs. MJF at All In. 3.75/5
AEW Women's World Championship Match: Thekla (c) vs. Willow Nightingale
Now
this is an interesting one. My current feel is that we may be heading
towards a triple threat adding Owen Hart Cup winner Mercedes Mone. I
dunno I'm unsure considering that both Mercedes and Thekla are both
heels I do wonder the direction for All In. If I'm right with the
International Title match to be Fletcher vs. Okada vs. Takeshita will we
have two triple threat matches. But if it's Willow vs. Mercedes what
does Thekla one of the MVPs of AEW in 2026 do? Lot of variables to
consider on this one. Good fun match good intensity just hope Thekla gets her credit and big match at All In. Good for Willow all the accolades she has had. 4.25/5
AEW World Championship Match: Kenny Omega (c) vs. Kevin Knight
So Omega vs. Ospreay 3 (technically 4) at All In? Because we've added an extra PPV we need a challenger so step forth Kevin Knight in one of those big PPV Main Events to prove you can be that guy in the future. Lot of parallels to Hangman vs. Fletcher from last year in this one could set up a big Kevin Knight year. I really like Kevin Knight I think he's getting there promo wise but in ring he's great and I still find it mad Gedo done really nothing with him, Jr Tag titles reigns where nothing interesting happened and periods of inactivity now Kevin Knight is can't miss in AEW and I can see a feud between him and Fletcher later in the year which is being built up. Should be a good match hope Kevin gets that shine on his own road to All In. I did enjoy this match just wish it had more build good stuff and good showing for Kevin in his first PPV main event. Post match stuff setting up All In main event I am a fan of Omega being the heel very clearly in the feud it's needed that, clear defined roles and Ospreay will be the hometown hero, smart move. 4.25/5
Oh man weird show. 100% on of the weakest PPVs AEW has ever done with a dogshit chain match. Some good moments and some bad moments. We will go see you at Wembley 3/5
Comments
Post a Comment