Quick Thoughts: AEW Dynasty 2024

As AEW begins to expand it's PPV schedule to six a year we get the first ever AEW Dynasty PPV. A card that is top to bottom filled with championship matches and feuds all built up through their previous weeks of television. I personally have enjoyed the last little run of AEW shows building up to this but really do wish AEW could gaslight an audience and have a PR division to manipulate people into thinking literally everything they do is great like WWE does. Regardless of another companies lifeless product which people will lie to your face and say is good I think on paper this was set to be a good show. With that in mind hopefully this show can live up to the card it is on paper. 

Zero Hour

Trent Beretta vs. Matt Sydal
A bit of an odd one to be on PPV all be it a pre-show. Trent's heel turn is a major angle based on who it is against but still this feels like a match you'd see on Dynamite, not questioning the talent invovled just feel that this could've been on Dynamite or Collision. This was a fine match to get over Trent being a more violent heel

Orange Cassidy and Katsuyori Shibata vs. Shane Taylor Promotions (Shane Taylor and Lee Moriarty) (with Anthony Ogogo)
Shane Taylor Promotions are being shown at a more consistant level on TV which is weird as it's nice to see Lee Moriarty more but I wish he was doing something better. I'm not going to complain seeing Orange and Shibata on the card but much like the Trent match these fill like filler TV matches on your way to build to Orange vs. Trent. This was another fine match just using the entrance to boost the Trent and Orange feud I guess more on Wednesday. 

Winners Take All match for the AEW World Trios Championship and ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Championship: The Acclaimed (Anthony Bowens, Max Caster and Billy Gunn) (c–AEW) vs. Bullet Club Gold (Jay White and The Gunns (Austin Gunn and Colten Gunn)) (c–ROH)
Man can this feud end? I don't really think this has benefited anyone and honestly I think The Acclaimed as an act needs a split or refresh (and I think Bowens could have a good singles run). I wish Jay White was doing more but look give him two belts and that will shut me up for a bit. Thank God the right people won and Bullet Club Gold are champions. Please break up The Acclaimed it's time. 

Main Show

AEW Continental Championship Match: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. PAC
PAC is great I love that guy and the same with Okada. With this being under Continental rules and just a match between the both I thought this had potential to be a show stealer even with Ospreay and Bryan on the card. Giving Okada a title right away is a smart idea to me he just looks odd without a title and now we get top singles matches for Okada in AEW, good stuff keep it up. I loved this match as expected and laughed out loud for the Okada Rainmaker pose fake out. A great opener and honestly what you'd expect from these two. 

Adam Copeland, Eddie Kingston, and Mark Briscoe vs. The House of Black (Malakai Black, Brody King, and Buddy Matthews)
What feels like a get everyone on the card type of match I'm left wondering why not have the TNT title defended against Malakai on TV (I mean it's because he refuses to lose. Prove me wrong take a pin). I like Mark & Eddie so it is good to see them on PPV. Maybe this leads to Malakai vs. Cope but this was a fine match I don't have many notes on it but still a fine match.

AEW TBS Championship Match: Julia Hart (c) vs. Willow Nightingale (with Stokely Hathaway)
My house rule would be that even if I lose I win, not sure why nobody does it. Regardless this match looks to set up the next few months of the TBS title with Mercedes being in and around the title which made me feel Willow will win based on their history surrounding the NJPW Strong Women's Title. It's good to see this getting a match on the main show I think I said last month but the TBS title scene has been very good and I think can only get better. I really enjoyed this match these two seemed to have great chemistry but felt the match was pretty quick just seemed to be really going but still fun match. I imagine Willow vs. Mercedes will be even better. 

AEW International Championship Match: Roderick Strong (c) vs. Kyle O'Reilly
With everything that has happened to Kyle O'Reilly I'm just glad he's able to use both his arms the real struggle he had let alone be back to wrestle on PPV. I've always seen the International title as AEW's secondary world title much like how the WWE World Heavyweight Title or IWGP Global Title is treated so this is a big match for Kyle. I feel a title of that magnitude is what Roderick has deserved as well based on his work in the last 6 months as on of AEW's most consitent performers. Another match I enjoyed but I expected these two to have good chemistry and it's nice to see Adam Cole walking again. I think maybe a rematch is on the horizon for these two but we will see. 

FTW Championship Match: HOOK (c) vs. Chris Jericho
Kinda wish HOOK was better you know. I understand he has his fans but I just wish he had a bit more to him now and honestly I don't know if Jericho is the best person to get that out of him. Maybe giving Jericho the FTW title and give HOOK something different. Not sure how I feel talking about the Jericho Vortex being an actual thing I mean it's a comment about how Jericho takes talent on a roll and steals all their heat, I dunno prove me wrong. Spoiler, they didn't Jericho was slow I just don't think this is his type of match still just a meh one.

AEW Women's World Championship Match: "Timeless" Toni Storm (c) (with Mariah May and Luther) vs. Thunder Rosa
Love Toni Storm but dislike Thunder Rosa so you know who I was supporting here. I think there's a lot more for Toni and I feel she's starting to get how to get the gimmick into her ring action, plus with 
Mina Shirakawa about I think we build to that as a the women's title match at Forbidden Door. This match exceeded my expectations and was great fun. Toni winning is the right call I look forward to the build for her vs. Mina and what happens at Double or Nothing.

Will Ospreay vs. Bryan Danielson
A dream match if ever there was. I love both of these guys and this is the type of match is what I want. I still think as of writing this before Dynasty the All In main event will be Ospreay vs. Swerve for the title so expecting a Ospreay win. Holy shit man what a match like how do you have this build and be above expectations what a match I will be rewatching again and again and again. Superb match of the year two of the best doing what the best do. Got distracted in the ladder match just thinking about this match. Top 5 match in AEW history easily. 

AEW World Tag Team Championship Ladder Match: The Young Bucks (Nicholas Jackson and Matthew Jackson) vs. FTR (Dax Harwood and Cash Wheeler)
This is the best version of The Young Bucks for me. I love the gimmick and think it was a much needed refesh for them. While I don't overly care for showing the Jack Perry & CM Punk footage (free my boy Jack Perry he did nothing wrong). I found the last match between Bucks and FTR wasn't good at All In I think I entered a state of 
dissociation during it so hopefully a ladder match gives it some extra spice. This was fun, once again Jack Perry saves wrestling and helps the Young Bucks win. Interested where The Elite go from here. 

AEW World Championship Match: Samoa Joe (c) vs. Swerve Strickland (with Prince Nana)
Nobody better in AEW in 2024 then these two for me both on their a game and hopefully this leads to a big PPV main event. I wanted a Swerve win and hoped, not just for history but as Swerve deserves it and it cannot be denied the absoulte it factor he has. Not the greatest match in the world but still enjoyable and mainly was for the moment of Swerve winning. Great for Swerve and well deserved, it was great to see Joe get one final world title reign but now it's time for Swerve. It's also a good thing to let him celebrate on camera for a good peroid of time let the moment really sink in. It's a big moment a should be celebrated as such. 

All in all, I found this a real fun show. I think AEW needed a great show and they delivered again I just hope the TV build to Double or Nothing can keep this going for them and we can talk about AEW getting back to their best in 2024. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?