My Issues With Silent Protagonists

Over the past while I've been able to play some games which I have never had a chance to as well as a few new releases. Those in question are Tokyo Mirage Sessions & the recent release of Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes and both got me thinking on the way they use their main characters. With Tokyo Mirage Sessions made by Atlus I drew comparisons with Persona 5 and with Three Hopes being another entry for Fire Emblem Three Houses I began comparing protagonists and it made me realise something. I have a serious issue with silent protagonists.

First a breakdown on silent protagonists. Between Joker, Byleth and other examples like Link are the player controlled character which does not have a voice, while they may communicate through grunts and dialogue choices. Hearing a protagonist actually talk and emote has been a welcome change when it comes to these style of games for me. Personally hearing the character I'm playing as talk and interact with others is better than a dialogue choice and then other characters having to react to the silence and you fill in the blanks of the tone of the protagonist. I just find characters talking to be more of a hook, reading what they say and hearing what they say are two different things and it helps flesh out the bonds of the characters more so. 

Going back to Link who was briefly mentioned above is it weird he is the only person who doesn't speak. Like half the cutscenes are Zelda talking and maybe every now and then he pulls a shocked face. I dunno how I am suppose to invest in a character who spends a lot of time on their own without a cast of characters which help fill in the blanks where not talking is used. At least in Three Houses and Persona you have a team around you while Byleth pulls 2 shocked faces per route and Joker didn't never changes expression.

I think it's a preference of mine, I know the idea is that you put your own perspective on a character like that which is fine but what if my perspective doesn't fit the narrative of the story, how can you have a 'oh you are the character' when the character does something which you wouldn't in that perspective? What is the dialogue options you're given read to you as something you would say sarcastically but it is meant to be delivered as serious I dunno I just think hearing the main character helps the narrative more. 

All in all this is just my opinion. I'm sure lots of people love silent protagonists but they are just not for me I need my hand held hearing everything don't leave it to interpretation. But from Three Hopes I do hope the next Fire Emblem main protagonist is one who speaks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?