Quick Thoughts: AEW Full Gear 2020

For the final time in 2020 AEW presented a PPV this time being Full Gear. Last year Full Gear served well as a building block for Dynamite now with a little over a year of existence behind them AEW put together what many expected to be their best card to date at least on paper and that would be something I would agree with. The main question would be if it could live up to that billing.

Buy In Match: NWA Women's Championship Match: Serena Deeb (c) vs. Allysin Kay
First of all Allysin Kay sign her up AEW thanks. Ok while the match itself was good and I do look forward to seeing Thunder Rosa vs. Deeb (providing it happens in AEW) but I do wonder if AEW is focusing too much on the NWA Women's title and the time could be used for their own women's title. Anyway Serena is a solid signing I just wish we could get focus on her for the AEW Women's title. However, with this I think this can help establish Deeb as a legit competitor for the future of the division, I do think all three (including Rosa) would work wonders to help establish the division and with the title match that happened later on I wonder what the future of the division is. 

Kenny Omega vs. Adam Page
This was one of the main matches on the card I was looking forward to the most. I was very surprised we didn't get a full on Omega heel turn but I don't mind it. The overall evolution of Kenny Omega from losing the tag belts to now has been really well done and fleshing out the character has been done well. This was a very physical encounter and I enjoyed that these two work very well together. With Omega winning I think it was the best result the story with Hangman not being able to win the big one will keep going and build up to its natural conclusion. I do think as most the logical ending to this is Hangman winning the belt off of Kenny down the line but if that is what will happen let's see. 

Orange Cassidy vs. John Silver
John Silver is a man who makes the most of his minutes. Being the Elite has allowed him to show more personality and as such he's got more over with the core AEW audience and now has more TV time. I'd argue he's becoming the second most prominent member of the Dark Order behind Mr Brodie Lee. I enjoyed this match it was more based on the characters over the wrestlers and I think that works I enjoy both of these guys work. I do have to wonder what to do with Orange now, I think it's a case where he got over unexpectedly and I do think he's above the Best Friends feud with Miro and Kip so I wonder what will happen. I would like them to revisit him facing Brodie Lee but we will see going forward.   

AEW TNT Championship: Cody Rhodes (c) vs. Darby Allin
These two fantastic chemistry. While I feel the story of Darby getting the match and the match itself has been lacklustre these two have good matches. I think Darby is one of AEW's better stars they built up who hasn't come from another prominent so it was good to see him get the win. I had initially thought Darby would end up winning the FTW title but to see him win the TNT title is a pleasant surprise. It seems his feud with Team Taz will continue around this belt which I like, Ricky Starks especially has excelled with the TV time he has been given and is a bright prospect for AEW. I can only imagine it is a matter time before we see Cody go back in for the title or if his long awaited heel turn will come soon. I do hope we get Darby vs. Starks again soon though.

AEW Women's Championship Match: Hikaru Shida (c) vs. Nyla Rose
Arguably the most underdeveloped match on the card and while I understand most was done on Dark it still wasn't a lot, I am glad AEW has acknowledged fault with this and hope the next feud for Shida gets some good build up (hopefully it's against Britt Baker). These two work well together and I did prefer their match at Double or Nothing. I am glad Nyla and Vickie are breaking up evidently, Nyla is one of the women who I think can cut a strong promo so I'd prefer Vickie to work with someone who needs that. I don't know if Mel can cut a good promo if not one of the newer women who seems like they're signed like Dani Jordyn or KiLynn King (maybe both) I also think Jennacide is a name change away from being a good hiring should they make it. A face turn for Nyla would be interesting as long as Vickie can work well with the right rival for her. As for Shida I feel AEW just doesn't know what to do with her or how to book her, I know they wanted to make the Joshi influence on the division but that has now been limited I don't know. Personally I'd either bring Allysin Kay for a feud or just give the title to Britt Baker who's arguably the divisions strongest character and have her character elevate like like I imagine she can. We have month until Revolution so let's see.  

AEW Tag Team Championship Match: FTR (c) vs. The Young Bucks
Might as well just get this over and done with. This is my match of the night. I don't think this match could live up to the overwhelming weight of expectations but I do think it was on of the stronger tag matches AEW has had. I prefer this over the Bucks and Lucha Bros in Escalera De La Muerte but still feel that the Bucks vs. Hangman & Kenny is the best tag match in AEW's history. These teams worked well as expected with a clash of styles and the story around Matt's injuries towards the end of the match as FTR grew frustrated was good. The ending I loved nothing working so FTR abandoning their philosophy with Cash doing a flip and that's how they lost was great for the story. I felt the Bucks would lose but they'd end up putting their careers on the line for one more match vs. FTR down the line to get around it but I'm glad they won here. I feel the feud should continue and I am interested that if it doesn't what happens with both teams now.  

Elite Deletion Match: Matt Hardy vs. Sammy Guevara
I feel like I've had my fill of these cinematic matches now. I don't have an issue with the action or people involved I'm just burnt out on this now. I was burnt out on the feud as well and just glad we now have this done and it's over and both men can move to something new. The match was fine I think the right man won to end the feud but I'll be happy to have a break from these sorts of matches. Let's move onto the eventual Sammy vs. MJF feud. 

MJF vs. Chris Jericho
A match between two heels was interesting but I think necessary for this story. These two worked a match where each looked to outsmart each other and caused the other issues. I do enjoy it wasn't really a clean win and MJF essentially cheated to get into the Inner Circle which will no continue to cause issues in the group. Not a match for the in ring work but the start of the story they are telling. I am enjoying the constant friction that MJF has brought into the Inner Circle and while Jericho can't see through it Sammy & Ortiz can. This would be what leads to the beginning of the end of the Inner Circle and will be interesting the direction taken going forward. 

AEW Championship I Quit Match: Jon Moxley (c) vs. Eddie Kingston
This was a brutal match to say the least and was what I expected going in. I just want to highlight Kingston pouring the rubbing alcohol on Moxley's back after he went through thumbtacks made me wince which was the desired reaction I imagine. The build to the match was made to be a personal affair and the match lived up to it. I did like the fact Moxley had to choke Kingston out with barbed wire trying to cut into his neck as a last option to finally get Kingston to quit, it shows you near to damn near kill Kingston to beat him and that Moxley will do what he can to win. Both men are now moving onto strong feuds as well Moxley has Omega as his next challenger while Kingston will now take on a returning PAC (who I am delighted to see on Dynamite again). I think both men came out of this looking good. 

With Full Gear I would say it's a return to form for AEW PPV's following All Out. We move forward to 2021 and Revolution for AEW PPV's now but not before the massive Moxley vs. Omega on December 2nd which I feel Omega will win allowing Moxley to head over to Wrestle Kingdom and drop the NJPW US title to KENTA and allowing the quarantine time while AEW still has a world champion on screen. 

With 3 months until Revolution I do hope lessons are learnt where needed with building matches for a PPV and with that we are presented with another strong card come February. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?