Quick Thoughts - WrestleDream 2024

Moving onto the third PPV in roughly 9 weeks I'm beginning to feel burned out on these reviews. I'd be honest combined with Grand Slam there has just been no time really to build to this show outside a few matches. A lot feels thrown together last minute but I expect this is a good card the talent on the card normally deliver but I won't be covering the build on TV just the matches.

Zero Hour
Much like All Out I won't be breaking down match by match. It is good to see Atlantis Jr enjoyed him in World Tag league the other year and hope to see more, I'd watch more CMLL but I ain't paying all that Youtube premium stuff. Anna Jay seems better but I still think she needs more of a Japan run, do STARDOM have a tag league? That would be also a benefit. I think it is time for The Acclaimed to be done again if they ain't turning or winning the belt then what is the point time for Bowens singles run. Speaking on tag teams I love The Outrunners give them a sustained run looking forward to their eventual FTR match.

Main Show
"Hangman" Adam Page vs. Jay White
Interesting choice to open the show but both are good and solid wrestlers but I feel both need a win. It was a good match and glad Jay White isn't losing his first match as a singles babyface. I think Hangman can be fine in losing he will probably kill Austin Gunn. All in all good and hopefully it continues. 

AEW Women's World Championship Match: Mariah May (c) vs. Willow Nightingale
Really weird that the Mina Shirakawa feud just kinda hasn't happened, must be a timing and STARDOM date issues, anyway she's on Royal Quest so good for me. It feels like AEW lacks in top women faces which is why Statlander randomly turned and Willow is number one contender. This match ruled I really enjoyed it but for Willow that's two PPV losses in a row so wonder what is next for her.

AEW TNT Championship Match: Jack Perry (c) vs. Katsuyori Shibata
Shibata needs to wear a cup stop showing that thing. I think this was a fine match finish was a little flat but I expected the match the end with a finish Daniel Garcia making the save. The post match was the main thing with both MJF and Adam Cole coming back for their feud to finally end. Give Garcia the TNT Wednesday and have him beat MJF. 

AEW International Championship Match: Will Ospreay (c) vs. Ricochet vs. Konosuke Takeshita
As expected this was match of the night up to this point all three men are great as you'd expect. Takeshita winning is great about time he won a title and we finally advanced his story with Ospreay and Don Callis. I guess Okada vs. Takeshita isn't happening but still Takeshita push and champ I love it let's go.

The Swerve segment was good setting up everything I'm surprised no Bobby Lashley but I guess we are holding out on that. Swerve vs. Lashley at Full Gear is the move.

Hologram vs. The Beast Mortos
I love both of these of these guys are would argue they are some of my favourites in AEW, certainly in 2024. Push both guys why is Mortos not at least ROH TV Champion come on now. These guys rule I want more bring in El Clon give me all the luchadors they fucking rule. 

Darby Allin vs. Brody King
What a match these two have great chemistry as ever and seemingly both love the idea of hurting each other to an insane degree. Why work a headlock when you can throw each other around great stuff. I love Brody I wish he could get a singles run of some kind.

AEW World Tag Team Championship Match: The Young Bucks (Matthew Jackson and Nicholas Jackson) (c) vs. Private Party (Zay and Quen)
Saying before it begins that I hope Private Party win the belts the tag division needs something new. Nice to see Amazing Red again that's a guy who never got the credit he did. Shame Private Party didn't win but hopefully they get a rematch and win the belts they got over and worked well. 

ROH World Championship Match: Mark Briscoe (c) vs. Chris Jericho (with Big Bill and Bryan Keith)
Didn't pay attention too much to this match glad Jericho lost. I do wonder the Final Battle main event but good for Mark he deserves a long reign. As for Jericho maybe it's time to go away for a bit come on now. 

AEW World Championship Match: Bryan Danielson (c) vs. Jon Moxley (with Marina Shafir)
It was time for Bryan to end his full time career and while I don't think Mox winning the belt again was my top want I still think the character refresh is good and wonder what they will do next. If you are writing a guy off I guess kinda killing him off works. OC & Darby seem the next challengers so it feels like the two you really describe as the heart and soul of AEW fighting this threat that Mox currently is. Ideally I think you do Mox vs. OC at Full Gear and then Darby winning the belt from Mox at World End (then Hangman winning it and dropping to Swerve at All In Texas that's just my thoughts).

All in all a good show. It delivered good matches and built towards the TV show which is what you want. With 7 weeks untill Full Gear it actaully gives the product time to breathe and build as that was this show missed for me. Good on the night but the weeks before lacking the time and ability to sell the full card both TV & PPV should work together and maybe don't squeeze as many PPVs in such a short space. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?

NXT 2.0: Short Term Pain For Long Term Gain or A Disaster Waiting to Happen?