Quick Thoughts: Revolution 2023

2023 is upon us and with that is the first AEW PPV of the five on the schedule in Revolution. It's one of those things where I really dislike Iron Man matches or maybe Tony Khan's priorities are elswhere but I have found the build to this very hit and miss. Some things I like but others not so much. Either way regarding the wrestling on the night for AEW PPV's always seems to have a positive impact on my thoughts by the end so maybe it will be the same this time around.

Zero Hour

Mark Briscoe and The Lucha Brothers (Penta El Zero Miedo and Rey Fenix) vs. Ari Daivari and The Varsity Athletes (Josh Woods and Tony Nese)
The first time I have really been able to talk about it but I am glad to see Mark Briscoe is now allowed to be on AEW TV after what was a terrible tragedy for his family. I wasn't a constant ROH watcher but Jay Briscoe always was a stand out and someone that felt real. A terrible loss for wrestling. This was a fun match better then I thought. The idea of the match was the hype the crowd up and that's what it did.

Main Show

Chris Jericho vs. Ricky Starks
An odd built. Why was Ricky Starks fighting to get another match with Jericho and running a gauntlet to fight him when he had already beaten him, I don't get it. With the stipulation of the Jericho Appreciation Society banned from ringside I was waiting for someone to help Jericho win probably Action Andretti for some bizzare reason that wouldn't make sense. I am shocked Ricky won pretty clean and was needed build him up give him a title time for sometime else Ricky has won both matches. 

Final Burial Match: Christian Cage vs. "Jungle Boy" Jack Perry
I had a few thoughts entering this match. First of all very happy that Christian is back he was one of the top acts towards the end of 2022 so now he is injury free I am glad we can end this feud. That being said I do find the stipulation swapping odd and we don't really have an idea what a final burial match is going into it. This was a violeny match super physical and I think that was was needed for Jungle Boy add a physical edge to him instead of just being a nice guy. The ending of the match was the perfect write off for the feud onto the next thing for Jack Perry maybe also time for him to fight for a title. 

AEW World Trios Championship Match: The Elite (Kenny Omega, Matt Jackson, and Nick Jackson) (c) vs. The House of Black (Malakai Black, Brody King, and Buddy Matthews)
A match with a small build but one which contains a lot of good wrestler which I was looking forward to, it feels like the start of a feud to finish as a main event for a Dynamite or something like that instead of a feud ender. Failing that it's a basic feud House of Black wants the Trios belts and The Elite have them not every feud needs books and books of lore. Really enjoyable match all 6 men brought it that ending knee from Buddy Matthews coutnering the Nick Jackson 450 holy shit what a move. Right team won and interesting where everyone goes from here. 

AEW Women's World Championship Match: Jamie Hayter (c) vs. Saraya vs. Ruby Soho
Wish this was a singles match, I'm sorry Saraya just isn't good not a fan and needs a good performance here or just don't win the belt I get the story of originals vs. new blood but I dunno she just hasn't clicked in AEW feels a very WWE person in AEW not the right fit. That being said can we keep the belt on Jamie until Forbidden Door and have her face someone from STARDOM or bring Miyu Yamashita to America again or Jamie to Japan for a match please and thanks. The finish kinda happened but I am glad that Jamie retained that was my main worry. Ruby turning heel is kinda odd why wouldn't she just do that and help Saraya win in terms of the story, I dunno interested to see who joins up with Jamie & Britt.  

Texas Death Match: Jon Moxley vs. "Hangman" Adam Page
The match I was most looking forward to. I love both of these men and this has served a great rehab for Adam Page since he lost the World Title and I felt that this is basically a number one contenders match for the AEW World Title and what should be a violent encounter. Honestly might be the most violent match AEW has ever had my god this feels like an advertisement for how many unique weapons you can use in the game I kind loved it. Both of these guys are great and Hangman needed that big big win hopefully back into the swing of things for AEW's most compelling character. 

AEW TNT Championship Match: Samoa Joe (c) vs. Wardlow
It is superb to see Samoa Joe back on form. As one of my favourites I always look forward to seeing Joe but since his first TNT title win and feud with Darby he feels like the Joe of old and that is good for whoever he puts over in the end. Now speaking of odd endings I did not expect Wardlow to choke Joe out but if he keeps doing it I guess it can add something else to his character. I'm really looking forward to Wardlow vs. Hobbs though and how that goes. Joe has been great as TNT champion and in the end him putting Wardlow over should help Wardlow. 

AEW World Tag Team Championship Match: The Gunns (Austin Gunn and Colten Gunn) (c) vs. The Acclaimed (Anthony Bowens and Max Caster) (with Billy Gunn) vs. Jay Lethal and Jeff Jarrett (with Sonjay Dutt and Satnam Singh) vs. Orange Cassidy and Danhausen
What is this match actually? Big house show feel to this in terms of how many different people who are in the match in terms of their interactions. The critic in me is saying why isn't the All Atlantic Championship beign defended on PPV but at the same time The Acclaimed rapping on Orange & Danhausen it's a mixed bag for me. That crowd just went silent as the Gunns won which made me laugh. This was a big house show match and was pretty fun I am glad Danhausen got a showcase to show how he is a godo wrestler. Post match FTR stuff very much expected and they should win those belts soon and quick style. 

AEW World Championship 60 Minute Iron Man Match: MJF (c) vs. Bryan Danielson
Man I hate Iron Man matches. I find them drawn out and boring apart from a handfull and really most are book to drag out until the final 5 minutes. I dunno maybe I just have concentration issues. If MJF is going to continue his Joker origin stories I would prefer it away from the world title can he just be a dick I think his work was at its best against CM Punk and I hope he can hits those levels again. I did enjoy this despite my reservations I enjoy MJF getting DQ'd and then getting two quick falls that was smart. I must eat my words about Iron Man matches I loved it. Wow what an ending I was shocked by Bryan tapping out but man what a match I wonder who takes the belt. 

All in all a good show on the night. I seem to say this a lot for AEW recently the build is meh but the show is really good if they can fix the build issues they will be firing on all cylinders. I guess we will see when it comes to two months time and Double or Nothing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?