Should Super Smash Bros Have a Fighter Pass 3?

Kazuya Mishima becoming the latest DLC character for Super Smash Bros is a great but expected move. I had hoped to see Jin Kazama and Crash Bandicoot as the final two but Tekken getting a rep is great (don't let me down Smash, video game awards announce Crash please). It got me thinking that whoever it is we are one character away from the end of Fighter Pass 2 and has me thinking will we get a Fighter Pass 3? 

For this first we need to look at similar games in the fighting game genre. For a comparison for some of the most recently released games.

  • Tekken 7 has had 4 Season Passes for additional fighters 
  • Street Fighter V had 5 Season Passes for additional fighters
  • Injustice 2 had 3 Season Passes for additional fighters
  • Mortal Kombat 11 had 2 Season Passes for additional fighters (but an extra story pack with extra fighters)
This information has been taken from the fan wiki's but it shows a pattern of fighting games moving past 2 season passes for at least one more. The only one I could find where only two fighter passes were made was Soulcalibur VI which to be nice doesn't have the fanbase the other four listed do. If we use this as a base on pure speculation you'd expect it in line with how fighting games have used additional content to prolong the shelf life of the game and to make more money. 

I've also tried to look into if I could find any detail into the sales of Fighter Pass two. Even if a third pass wasn't industry standard if it is making money you'd think they'd want more. While I can't find definitive figures I believe the fighter passes helped boost digital sales for Nintendo which if this is a major contributor to digital sales figures they may want to capitalise on it more. 

Regardless, I feel at the end of the day if Nintendo feel money is to be made on Fighter Pass 3 they'll do it. The thing is that while a lot expect Crash as the final DLC character for Fighter Pass 2 but Smash still has a host of characters being speculated about so they still have characters that people want they can be made. 

I know it has been said by Sakurai the game is done once Fighter Pass 2 is done and I suppose we will see but I have to air on the side of caution with that. Smash Bros was supposed to be done post Melee it wasn't and how many times before have you heard about games shelf life ending before new content is added. If I am honest we will probably get speculation for a good while after the last fighter even if nothing else is announced. While I hope for Fighter Pass 3 I think we just have to wait and see but until then let the baseless speculation continue. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?