Why A European Super League Sucks And The Clubs Involved Should Be Ashamed

I started writing this on 18th April 2021 in the light that this takes more then a day to write. I’ve never had a day where I’ve wanted to give up on football as such. Just as a reference, I started this about an hour after ranting about VAR and English referees and then this news broke and it just sent me spinning. 

I’ve grown up with football from my birth, it's been one of the constants in my life in terms of entertainment, that wrestling and Pokémon probably the main one's through my life I found entertainment and escapism from for the longest. I look back at football and the time spent with family members no longer here watching enjoying games. I remember when Arsenal won the FA Cup final in 2014 my first thought wasn’t relief or joy it was of my Grandad who passed away a few months before. It felt like that was for him I just wish he could’ve seen it. Look, that is what football has meant to me, it's a way to connect with family and friends the time spent talking and joking on it and I don't want to mention the time I spent playing Football Manager. Investing into this sport time, money and emotions just for this at the end. 

The point of this isn’t for a woe is me. If anything it’s woe is us, the announcement of the plans of the European Super League and the permutations of a worst case scenario of this has my head spinning. I’m a negative person at heart sure, I spend most of the posts here complaining or saying I would do better at things qualified or trained people do. Maybe I’m blowing this way out of proportion as an initial reaction or maybe not. Let's track my negative look at this. 

As we know the teams involved are:

Arsenal 
Manchester United 
Manchester City 
Liverpool 
Chelsea 
Tottenham Hotspur 
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Athletic Madrid 
Juventus
AC Milan
Inter Milan 

The idea for the respective Football Federations and UEFA to push back and ban this clubs from the respective league and cup competitions as well as the European competitions in the Champions League and Europa League. Ok a threat is a threat but what happens if ALL these clubs leave their leagues, cups and European competitions. 

In short I really feel this opens up Pandora's box. If you remove these clubs you then need to look at the leagues and the TV rights. Without the best clubs that get the most views it means there's less money. The premier league specifically feels like it is only sustained at it's hightended expenditure do to worldwide TV deals. You take the top away it becomes worse for the clubs around it. No offense to the rest of the premier league but worldwide TV stations pay for those teams, you take out Sheffield United, Fulham & West Brom and replace them with Norwich, Watford and Brentford it won't make a difference to the demand overseas. You take away the top six it does. I can only imagine what this does worldwide. Imagine taking away El Clasico and the Madrid Derby away from the Spanish TV rights. This is before considering what happens to clubs who qualify or the Champions League from other nations. I remember when Apoel Nicosia got Real Madrid in the group and can only imagine the cash injection this gave them. That doesn't happen with this. 

This reeks of the MLS league structure. No promotion or relegation just the same stuff different year on loop. The rich get richer and damn every other club. We've seen what the inflated TV deals and money has done to many clubs. Where Wigan now? Or Bolton? Or Birmingham? All paying for the over spending cause by this and losing this. We could go back and look at the likes of Wimbledon and Bury. Imagine this but worst for so many. 

I say that on the idea that at worst using the Premier League exactly. I imagine these TV deals were signed on the idea of having those top 6 clubs, if they go what happens to those deals? Are the terms null and void due to changes out of the control of relegation, does that mean renegotiation at a lower rate? This could have a knock on effect right away. What's stopping the Super League going all Vince McMahon when he told networks if they aired Starrcade they wouldn't get his shows saying if their air the Premier League they won't get the Super League. Companies will look to protect their bottom line and the one which would get more eyes they'll flock to. 

Seeing the figures from the New York Times saying each time promised roughly $425 million I don't think they'll be too upset about missing the Premier League TV deal they'll get a new one on top of this with less teams to split it with.

On the idea of stopping players playing for international teams I don't think they'll mind. With the money floating around on here I think they'd take the money over representing their country. Hey look I'm honest I've always said I'd take club football over international football if given the choice I can only imagine a lot more would. 

I wonder what happens if there's any financial fair play set up on this. Probably not which is worse for some teams. The mega rich clubs of Man City and Real Madrid can spend freely under this. Stupid money on Mbappe or Haaland looks a real possibility in this. It seems these clubs could outspend non Super League clubs, it's a worrying money grab to monopolise football by a few. 

People saying no fans will go to these games are misguided, hopeful or ill informed. Football is a global game the same people saying this will also moan there's no fans at games just 'tourists'. Imagine being able to go to London and that week you have Arsenal vs. Juventus and Chelsea vs. Barcelona over the weekend you're there? If people show up to the current games super games will bring in casual fans or 'tourists' no doubt.

Look, maybe it wont happen, maybe all the clubs will back down and it won't happen. That can't be ruled out I guess but in a world where I've had to see Dover furlough all their players and staff during a pandemic to then this. I want to hope that fan backlash will stop this the idea of people refusing to support this will stop this. But looking at this for what it is greed and the money of it. It goes through people will follow the money, I do not see a way in where this goes through it doesn't cripple European Football.  

So maybe that’s it. I can’t support this I won’t support this as hard as it is. I can’t sit here as an Arsenal fan and condone the money grab my club supports and I won’t. This will get sold to the highest bidder probably one I don’t have the TV rights to. I won’t seek out games or buy shirts all I can do is vote in protest with my wallet and I’m sure many others will to but looking at this and the money proposed that won’t mean a think.

After 24 years it feels like football is done with me. It’s spat me and so many others out to go to the highest bidder and damn the rest in the way. I’m sorry that in all likelihood the actions of my club and others will cripple and ruin the futures of so many other teams not associated with this power grab and this money grab.

If you haven't seen it please give a listen to Gary Neville's rant on this https://twitter.com/Football__Tweet/status/1383833537095245825?s=20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?