Is VAR Ruining Football?

Short Answer? Yes.

When the video assistant referee (VAR) was introduced to the Premier League the reaction was mixed. Used in the 2018 world cup I didn't think it was the worst? Were their issues? Yes but that is to be expected with any new technology on the whole. I looked forward to it in the premier league maybe with naivety but optimism. 

But I failed to factor in something. The complete failure and sheer incompetence and stupidity of the English FA and the referees it employs. 

Let's look at where VAR should be used as defined by the Premier League website. It is for 'clear and obvious errors' or 'serious missed incidents'. Ok fine you can see that. But when it is used time after time for an elbow or a toe offside is that clear and obvious? When it takes 5 minutes to draw multiple lines is it clear and obvious. To me no, these decisions are supposed to be made quick and I understand it won't be right away but when we are sat here arguing over millimetres who's gaining an advantage. 

It's time for me to hold my hands up and apologise. I got it wrong, I thought VAR would be of use but it's clear something has failed. At this moment on the outside looking in I can't tell you if it is with the implementation or the clowns using it. 

Issues with English refs have long persisted. A lack of understanding and egos needed to make themselves the centre of the game. A good ref shouldn't be seen unless needing to interfere. I just need to ask is there a Mike Dean of Rugby? Is there a Mike Dean of American Football? I don't hear of this, mistakes happens sure but when refs constantly look to be the centre of attention it makes sure that a successful VAR can never happen. Until the application of VAR as outlined by the premier league itself is what is stuck to VAR cannot succeed in English Football. 

In 2018 Arsène Wenger said the following "There are two countries in Europe with professional referees, Italy & England. Not one English referee will go to the World Cup". What has happened since? We spend week in week out talking about at least one bad call a week normally one bad call a game, we have commentators making fun of the system implemented not wanting to talk about VAR because they know the officiating call will be bad. I think it's a joke. Woeful performance after woeful performance what are we doing. 

Why are the refs so protected? Why are they not bought out on camera to talk about their decisions? Why is the English FA continuing to protect constant failures? These questions run through my mind each week and I'm sick of it. Mike Dean with Soucek and the red card he gave after he looked at the monitor? What is he playing at? That got overturned and it wasn't even the first red card he gave this season that was overturned and he's not the only one doing this. This is a fundamental failure in the training of the FA's referees but considering they won't even acknowledge the current failure we are decades away from any change. 

Below is a tweet from Arseblog following the Arsenal vs. Fulham 1-1 draw on 18/04/2021 that helps to sum this up.

I'm not just writing this because Saka's toe meant an Arsenal goal was ruled out (But it's helped me but this together) but what was clear and obvious when we are talking at most centimetres. I think back to Mane's elbow offside in the Merseyside derby and the multiple times goals have been ruled out due to a hand being offside (last time I checked you couldn't score with your hand to not advantage is gained with that being your only body part offside).

I give up on football now I really do. The premier league won't be able to use the technology provided to it until we change the refs we have. Either refs from other countries or an overhaul in the training. The likes of Mike Riley has failed in his role as have the clowns he trains and currently referee the premier league. I watch football dreading it not enjoying it anymore, VAR and it's implementation is a failure. 

It's time to be scrapped. It has failed. The implementation of it has failed and until everything is subject to an overhaul it will continue to fail. But as ever the FA won't do a thing. 

I want to end by linking to a video 'The problem with VAR' by Tifo Football that also helps to highlight the issues plaguing VAR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPW47MDJXlA 

Thank you for reading and I can only hope we get a solution to this mess soon. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?