Quick Thoughts: AEW All Out 2023

What a difference a week makes. After the spectacle of All In the past week has seen CM Punk fired and a the chaos left in his path not overly clear but every story seemingly making it worse. I may cover CM Punk in a separate post but it certainly is a big talking point. One thing I will say on All Out is it is in a terrible place, right after All In it has a real lack of build. I won't be covering the lack of build for these matches as it has been weak with two PPVs in a week and the card overall is the weakest for an AEW PPV so let's see how it delivers on the night. 

The Buy In

Over Budget Battle Royale
Man what a waste of Hangman in this and not having a singles match. At least he won so that's something. A standard battle royale there's not really much to add to this, good to see Kyle Fletcher make it far in as he is someone I feel 

Athena, Mercedes Martinez, and Diamante vs. Hikaru Shida, Willow Nightingale, and Skye Blue
Athena is great one of the best parts of ROH and deserves a lot more credit and praise, her stuff with Billie Starkz is good and should hopefully elevate Billie. A fine 6 Women tag match but I kinda want to see Shida vs. Athena in a signles match that would be cool.

AEW Worlds Trios Championship Match: The Acclaimed (Anthony Bowens and Max Caster) and Billy Gunn (c) (with Dennis Rodman) vs. Jeff Jarrett, Satnam Singh, and Jay Lethal (with Sonjay Dutt and Karen Jarrett)
The closing stretch of this match made me laugh Dennis Rodman refused to get out of the ring and just stood there what a weird cameo it has been for the last 48 hours. I'm glad The Acclaimed won the belts in front of me live they've been one of my favourite acts in AEW so that was nice for me. I do wonder what happens with the Trios title and who they feud with. 

Main Show

ROH World Tag Team Championship Match: Better Than You Bay Bay (Adam Cole and MJF) (c) vs. The Dark Order (Alex Reynolds and John Silver)
I guess this was how we get MJF on the PPV card without having the world title defended. I like the Dark Order maybe this isn't a PPV match but seeing more John Silver is all good for me. A fine PPV opener working around MJF being hurt I guess they will be moving onto Kingdom vs. Cole & MJF. 

ROH World Television Championship Match: Samoa Joe (c) vs. Shane Taylor
Interesting opening with MJF & Samoa Joe I guess that might be MJF's next feud which I wouldn't mind Joe is on fire right now. Glad Samoa Joe won here not a big fan of Shane Taylor and Samoa Joe is far too good to lose here I do wonder what is next between MJF and Samoe Joe. 

AEW TNT Championship Match: Luchasaurus (c) (with Christian Cage) vs. Darby Allin (with Nick Wayne)
Christian Cage should be given all of the titles the greatest of all time Edge could never. I tell you what Darby got the shit kicked out of him. What a surprise I thought Darby was winning this but the final sequence was mental double tombstone super snake eyes and clothesline was a great ending put Luchasaurus over strong. Very strong match probably my favourite Luchasaurus match.

Miro vs. Powerhouse Hobbs
Lot's a chants for meat in this match big fan of meat at All Out a Vegans nightmare. Big physical match which I enjoyed two guys just beating the hell out of each other and it's clear the crowd loved it as well. Interesting ending I guess the feud isn't over. I was surprised to see CJ Perry debut but her as part of Miro's act was when it was at its strongest so I guess that is what we are heading to after he kills God.  

AEW TBS Championship Match: Kris Statlander (c) vs. Ruby Soho
Was surprised this wasn't on All In but I guess some matches need to be saved. This match picked up the longer it went both are good so you'd expect this based on their previous encounters. Interesting ending with Toni Storm looks like the end of The Outcasts which let's be hopeful it also ends Saraya's title reign quickly. As for Kris I imagine a defence against Mercedes Martinez is to happen and then after that she can hopefully get some more TV time as I think she is one of the better women on the roster, matches against Athena & Shida please. 

Strap Match: Bryan Danielson vs. Ricky Starks
It's great to see Bryan back what a guy and Final Countdown as well that was nice. With no Punk AEW needs Danielson healthy and I was hoping this match would help Ricky seeing as the Punk feud now will just never have an ending. I really enjoyed this match a very violent match for two people who weren't signed to face each other until 24 hours ago. Ricky didn't give up Bryan pretty much killed him in the end. Now if we could get Bryan vs. Nigel please. 

Eddie Kingston and Katsuyori Shibata vs. Blackpool Combat Club (Claudio Castagnoli and Wheeler Yuta)
Having saw Shibata live at Rev Pro's 11th Anniversary the day before All In it is always great to see him wrestle especially after everything that happened with him. We are continuing the story that Eddie cannot beat Claudio until Eddie wins the world title from him which I get that's fine I do wonder where that match happens either Grand Slam or they hold it off forever until Final Battle (maybe do title for title with the NJPW Strong title). Decent match always good to see Shibata. 

Kenny Omega vs. Konosuke Takeshita (with Don Callis)
One of the main rivalry matches on the show and one I expected to deliver. I enjoyed this match but that was to be expected from the level of competitors and it delivered. Omega worked to make Takeshita look like a star in this match and Takeshita pulled his weight in his biggest singles in AEW to date. Really liked this I do wonder if there's another match in this rivalry probably bring back the shark cage to Don. I wonder what you do post this feud with Takeshita I would put a belt (likely TNT) on him as soon as possible keep building him as he is one hell of a talent. 

Bullet Club Gold (Austin Gunn, Colten Gunn, Jay White, and Juice Robinson) vs. FTR (Cash Wheeler and Dax Harwood) and The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson)
Well the crowd had some opinions on Young Bucks they wanted to share and it was the loudest crowd reaction of the night. It was a pretty fun match Young Bucks and FTR always do well this was a fun match the further their story and I imagine that Gunn Club should get a title match following this. I do wonder the end goal of the Young Bucks vs. FTR feud it does feel like a Young Bucks heel turn could happen soon but we will see. 

AEW International Championship Match: Orange Cassidy (c) vs. Jon Moxley
Big fight feel to this one to make it feel even more of a PPV main event. Obviously circumstance have had a part to play but it is great to see Orange Cassidy get a PPV main event. He has been one of AEW's most consistent performers and entertainers so it's good that he is down in history as an AEW PPV main eventer. The story of Orange getting more and more hurt in his quest to remain champion has been really good, and have been waiting for who would be the step too far and the real ace of the company felt like the man to do it. My match of the night a phenomenal match filled with emotion and what a run Orange Cassidy had as champion a great run and the type of main event AEW needed after what has happened this past week.

All in all this show was good, it was hurt by the fact it was a week after their biggest ever show. It was hurt in the fact a lot of matches didn't get a build, however, the more the show went on the better it got. AEW has to in ring talent to have a strong PPV on the night but I do think lessons need to be learnt in having a good gap between All In & All Out next year to allow build for both shows and the creative to flow. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?