Does Yakuza: Like a Dragon Create a Successful New Protagonist

*Spoilers for the Yakuza series ahead*

After several months of hoping and trying and hoping I finally got my hands on a PS5. I wanted to play Yakuza: Like a Dragon on it so to get it in the best light so in the meantime I managed to play through the rest of the Yakuza series which allowed me to get a better respect and meaning of the full series and Kiryu as a protagonist as well. 

As a result of this I was worried that Ichiban Kasuga could not live up to the legend of The Dragon of Dojima after such a run of games with some stories I hold in high regard. So with a change in setting, gameplay and main character I was worried this could be a negative for the series.

Well I was wrong. Almost from the start I got hooked into the story of Ichiban who buy the end of the game I was all on board and loved his story. The character rightfully set to be the centre of the next saga of the Yakuza series. 

I feel Ichiban works his best as he's an opposite of Kiryu the honour bound stoic former Yakuza who is awkward in most social situations I mean look at those side quests Ichiban is a more heart on his sleeve type of guy. Where as Kiryu was more internal, Ichiban is more external as a character while that may make him more easy to read for any antagonist it sets him apart. It helps one was (well apart from 0) at the top and a legend where as Ichiban very much is at the bottom. His story is one of relying on the strength of his friends around him whereas Kiryu was more the type to rush in and fight 100 men himself (which I mean he kinda does in 5 anyway).

The writing of the series has always been strong. I knew that wouldn't be an issue but it is just a case of if this new cast of characters gets the some emotional connection that the cast around Kiryu did. I think it helps this is a new setting and me spend very little time in Kamurocho & Sotenbori. What happened in chapter 1 started me going around looking at places and reminiscing of Kiryu's adventures. Isezaki Ijincho doesn't have that much like Ichiban it's a fresh start for the series. A lot of the same minigames but they have a fresh coat of paint.

Above making sure that Ichiban is so different to Kiryu that comparisons are difficult to make and having a whole new map maybe I'm missing out one part. That Ichiban is a really well written character. Even in the entries of the series I found weaker one strength was the characters. Even in Yakuza 3 where I didn't like the gameplay I didn't like the plot I found that the characters were great on large parts. Mine and especially Rikiya became favourites in the series for me (side note while I accept Rikiya had to die. Mine I felt and feel would've been better suited being a character in the series and continuing as a member of the Tojo Clan, I'm just saying don't redeem every antagonist to just kill them off. Thanks).  While Ichiban can be a goof and a bit stupid at parts it comes from a good place. While he grows as a character he doesn't lose what makes him compelling in his care for others. All I'm saying is I don't have enough faith and belief in anyone that I'd help them fight Majima & Saejima.

What happened was the people at Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios worked out how to make an interesting protagonist going forward, it wasn't to just wipe the slate clean with a new world with a someone exactly like Kazuma Kiryu and work off that base it was to but someone new into this world they have built up since 2005, a new character who'd have a different outlook and way of approaching the world to create something fun and different. If anything unlike the games title, Ichiban wasn't like a dragon but he was his very own character and that makes him a compelling and interesting protagonist, one I can't wait to see his next adventure 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?