Quick Thoughts: Marvel Cinematic Studios Phase 4 Slate

With San Diego Comic Con happening it was the perfect time for Marvel to announce their next slate of movies. The Infinity Saga is now done allowing Marvel to move on with some new and fresh ideas. I am to go through all of them to give my thoughts and excitement. But first of all I am really happy that Endgame is now the highest grossing film of all time. Even if it for a small moment in time it is a massive achievement for all at Marvel Studios and they deserve all the credit in creating a historic film such as this.

Black Widow
The next film for the MCU is the long awaited Black Widow film. I'm really looking forward to them expanding on the story to one of the original Avengers. The main thing I want to look into with this is the characters these movies and series will introduce Red Guardian, Yelena Belova and Taskmaster, that's a strong list a new characters to enhance this universe and Taskmaster is someone I have been hoping to see in the MCU for a while. The one main question I have is if Black Widow will come back in the current timeline, I doubt this film will address it but it would be nice to get closure on that fully. Either way a film long in the pipeline and will be nice to see this come to the big screen.

The Falcon and Winter Soldier
The first Disney+ series is the one putting together Falcon and Winter Soldier teaming up. The series is expected to be the first time we see Falcon as Captain America in his full costume as well as Helmut Zemo returning with his iconic purple mask, I have to wonder what other characters could appear in this series, Arnim Zola would be a likely one while I think a character like Sin will be saved for the next Captain America film, one I would like to see as part of this series would be US Agent I think that'd be an interesting character for the new Cap to play off of. Having this being the first show for the MCU on Disney+ is a massive hook to get subscribers and I think it will work, with not Captain America film in Phase 4 (as it stands) this will be a massive thing to see since the end of Endgame.

Eternals
A new phase brings a new team and this time The Eternals will take to the stage. With Thena, Ikaris, Kingo, Makkari, Phastos, Ajak, Gilgamesh and Sprite all cast (and Sersi expected to be part of this as well) it is a solid cast of character to be added into the film. I'd like to see a lot of this film take place in space allowing to expand that part of the universe. I have to admit I am not all that aware of what the Eternals do or who could be the antagonist of this film but I look forward to what they can add. I was personally hoping for Starfox to be in this film to see how Thanos' brother was and where he was or how he reacted to his brothers cosmic rampage but only time will tell if he is in it or not (side note, Starfox was my pick to be Star-Lord's dad for a while before Ego was announced).

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Now this is an interesting one as well Marvel are really trying to introduce a load of new characters to the MCU. I don't know a lot about Shang-Chi but I look forward to this mainly as The Mandarin will finally be on screen (the real one this time). With Shang-Chi being the son of a villain in the comics (being Fu Manchu) I wonder if that will be switched with The Mandarin. The martial arts of the MCU is unexplored so far on the movie side at least so this may prove to be a valuable launching pad for films in a similar mould.

WandaVision
With this being set after Endgame questions start to arise from it. Vision is dead so as it stands so we have to answer how he comes back, I'm excited how they will get him back into the fold. Not only this but this series is expected to explore Scarlet Witch's powers more in relation to its reality warping ability. This led me to one question, does this mean we will see Wiccan & Speed of the Young Avengers make their MCU debuts? I think if you want to address reality warping creating people is a way to go. Maybe I just want to see the original Young Avengers team in the MCU. Not only this but Monica Rambeau will return but Captain Marvel but as an adult, this might give the origin of her characters powers (being known as Sceptre, Photon and Pulsar among others). This should be good and help Captain Marvel 2 as and when that comes along.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Leading on from WandaVision is the next Doctor Strange film. With Scarlet Witch set to appear along side Doctor Strange it leads to a large amount of possibilities. I had been hoping that Scarlet Witch would appear along side Doctor Strange and I'm glad this is what is happened, the two's power set should mess well together. I have heard that this is be the first MCU's 'scary' film with Nightmare being the villain which would be nice. I do hope however we see Baron Mordo return as well as Brother Voodoo and Clea make their cinematic debuts, the masters of the mystic arts are now lacking in numbers it'd be nice to see the Doctor Strange portion of the MCU be expanded character wise. I wonder if the realities created from the time heist will play an effect for this multiverse, of all the films this offers the most interesting possibilities in my eyes.

Loki
This is an interesting series. Following the Loki who escaped with the space stone in the alternate reality during Endgame. While missing the development we have seen with the main universe Loki this series is a real open book. We don't know if he will be in the new Thor film nor do we know the supporting cast, this creates something interesting we haven't seen. This series doesn't have the biggest premise or something to see as a hook for it or a debuting character teased in its initial press release so this one will be interesting to see how it fits in the larger MCU.

What If
The first animated series for Marvel is a what if series. This will look into alternative realities to see what could happen. It has been speculated we may see Agent Carter or Marvel Zombies or maybe one of the realities where Thanos wins. This is the part of this phase I am least excited for. While an interesting concept I don't have much interest in this, mainly because it doesn't fit into the main MCU continuity but it will be interesting to see what ideas they come up with for this series.

Hawkeye
Off the bat for this one I'm really happy Hawkeye is getting a TV series, a film didn't seem like it would happen but he's on of the underappreciated characters in the MCU. The series looks to following him and training up Kate Bishop as the new Hawkeye. Kate Bishop being introduced is interesting another core member of the Young Avengers confirmed to be introduced in the MCU which as stated before I would be a all for a Young Avengers film. I wonder what the series will be past that, I don't know any real Hawkeye villains or even if he has an main nemesis like most heroes,  wonder if Taskmaster will appear in this failing that I think Crossfire could work as a villain or probably the best case Trickshot, as Hawkeye's older brother in the comics it'd make sense as a villain at least in his own mythos. One final thought is if Mockingbird will appear, it'd be nice to see Adrianne Palicki reprise that role for this series given the history of the two characters in the comics.

Thor: Love and Thunder
The final film of this phase is the fourth Thor film. I am over the moon that Taika Waititi is return to direct as Ragnarok is one of my favourite MCU films. While interested in Jame Foster returning as the female Thor I have a large amount of questions, mainly around the supporting cast. Ragnarok killed the warriors three, Infinity War killed Loki and Heimdall it doesn't leave a lot of the cast associated with Thor alive. While we may see the Loki from the Disney+ series appear I hope that Lady Sif returns, off world for Ragnarok allows her to live and I hope she's bought back. I know that Valkyrie is being used as one of the main characters for LGBT trying to find her queen I wonder if Sif will be used in this role, I guess only time will tell. I wonder if we will see Hulk, Korg, Miek will appear, considering Taika played Korg himself it seems likely. This may set up more warbound members to join (hopefully) like Hiroim and Caiera. The villain for the film is an interesting point, Hela combined parts of herself, Gorr the God Butcher and Angela (who it would be nice to see in this film herself), you have to wonder what villain or villains will be used, I have to see Enchantress as the most likely as the biggest Thor villain not yet used but I wonder if characters like Ulik or Mangog would be used. I wonder if they could use The Wrecking Crew as villains that Jane's Thor can beat up when getting use to her powers.

To conclude this feels a small phase but I think anything following would've after the conclusion of the Infinity Saga. This phase seems to take a lot of chances to tell different stories and to introduce new big characters for the future of the MCU. Phase 5 looks to kick start the next main saga but this should lay the groundwork going forward. Phase 5 should have Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, Guardian of the Galaxy 3, Blade and hopefully some sort of X-Men, Fantastic 4 and Ant-Man 3. Even without some of the heavy hitters in terms of series remaining characters for these series to use could begin their MCU stories in Phase 4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inazuma Eleven Football Manager Simulator - Game Idea Concept

Inazuma International Team Selection - Australia

Does Impact Wrestling have a problem with keeping and showcasing talent?